Tuesday, March 23, 2010

In the Service of What?
The Politics of Service Learning
by: Joseph Kahne and Joel Westheimer

Authors Argument:
In this article the authors argue that service learning helps ideas come to life and expand. It helps everything and everyone who are involved in whatever the issue may be. Students benefit from the ideas and so do the surroundings they are in.

Quotes:
1) "For Thanksgiving this year my stepmother and I helped serve the seniors their Thanksgiving dinner. This was a very rewarding experience helping others in need. It seemed that the dinner was something special to them; it was a chance for them to get together with their peers. Many don't have families in the area and are all alone for the holidays." This quote shows that a little help can go a long. Doing something so small for people and the outcome putting a smile on some ones face is worth it to me. This quote also proves to me that majoring in education was the right choice for me. I want to teach children and make a difference in their lives and see them happy when they understand things.

2) "The experimental and interpersonal components of service learning activities can achieve the first crucial step toward diminishing the sense of "otherness" that often separates students--particularly privileged students--from those in need." I believe this statement to be true. I feel as if I am in the position of those of the privileged. I speak the social language and am white and I am comfortable in class and out of class. Most of the time the otherness is shown In the class room, but that’s not the case in many classes I have been in.

3) "Service learning makes students active participants in service projects that aim to respond to the needs of the community while furthering the academic goals of students."
This quote proves that service learning can only help the students in a positive way. Students will learn from the service learning and help better their future.

Questions/Comments:
This reading was an ok kind of reading for me . This piece just really broaden my knowledge to the importance of service learning in the community and to the students. It ends up helping a lot of people in the long run. I just thought that this reading was very interesting and also the statistics it shown with students and there progression was interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment